Log In


• Money & Finance
• Love & Dating
• Jobs
• Internet
• Fashion
• Food & Drink
• Events
• Accommodation
• Sex & Health
• Lifestyle
• Travelling
• Shopping
• Student News
• Uni Finder

Fun & Games

• Competitions
• Video Clips
• Drinking Games
• Online Games

Help & Advice

• Help & Advice

Problem Pages

• Agony Uncle


• Discounts
• Freebies


Council Tax Explained

Council tax is a property tax. How much you pay is based on where you live (i.e. in which borough), the value of your home and who lives in it. As a student, you may be exempt or pay less tax depending on your situation.

Students in a full-time course and attend classes 21 hours a week for a minimum of 24 weeks a year may get a reduction, as do students who are under 20 years old, and studying a course not above A levels, ONC or OND. But don't forget to get a certificate from your uni/college proving that you are a full-time student; you could be asked to forward this on to your local council.

If you live with someone who is not a student, you may still be able to get a single-person discount of about 25%.

However, you may not have to pay any council tax at if you live in a halls of residence (as long as there are only students living there), or if you live in a private flat where everyone is studying full time.

To make sure you don't pay taxes you are exempt from or have a landlord who tries it on to get more of your precious beer money, contact your local council for accurate up to date information on your situation.

About Us   Terms of Use   Rules   Contact Us   |    © 2004 - 05 Student Union.co.uk
Design & Programming - Web Design Essex