1. Don't sign up to too many societies - The Kickboxing Society may have seemed cool and a good idea to finally become Van Damme, but are you really going to give up a night out every week when your training sessions clash on the same night? Errrrr?.No!
2. Keep hold of a supply of toilet paper in your room - it's not good when essentials get used up quickly, especially when your caught short! Not a pleasant experience!
3. Marmite - it's cheap, goes a long way and is the most likely food not to be nicked from your food cupboard when your not about.
4. Lots of Soup - it's non-perishable and is fast food at its best and can be kept for rainy days when you are skint. Supermarkets do some good deals on soup, so when they do, stock up!
5. Take millions of socks and pants - you always end up losing them, despite living in a tiny residence and when you haven't had time to do your washing, you'll always have some spare! Result!
6. Take a computer - whatever happens. If you don't, then you will experience intense stress on coursework deadline day as many other students do, queuing for hours to get into the library to write that essay.
7. Take lots of booze for the first term - you don't necessarily have to drink it all, (but you probably will) and it's a great way to break the ice with your new housemates and make new friends.
8. Bring lots of photos and posters - for your wall. It eases you into the process of being away from family and friends and makes you feel SO much better on a rainy day.
9. Coffee and Pro Plus - as I experienced, many leave studying to the last moment and cram those last few essays into the last week of the semester - lots of coffee and late nights should do the trick.
10. STUDY - don't forget this! You don't have to be Billy-no-mates to get a good mark, and in the first year, many of the marks don't contribute to your final degree however? the next two years of hard graft will be made much easier if you worked in the first year, the teachers DO remember you and of course? isn't studying the reason for going to uni??????????? Work hard, play hard!